Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 1996 17:09:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jehamby@lightside.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux "stub" libraries? (was Re: Quake's out..)

> Hmm, I think it might be possible to fake ALL the libs under ELF, the
> way it works we should be able to make our own linuxELF libs and have
> them working WITHOUT even a kernel emulator. THis way I can run (some)
> SVR4 binaries on my system, with a fake svr4 libc that provides the
> svr4 functionality but have a freebsd system call interface.

Yes.  This is exactly right.  The SVR4 ABI is available... I can mail you
a copy if you want (it's on a Motorolla FTP site, for what it's worth).

> This greatly depends on having the source for the libraries, but for
> the linux case this is no problem (it is for svr4 :( )

No.  Building something that matches a written spec is trivial (so
trivial it is often too boring to do  8-)).

> The main showstopper here is the amount of work involved in doing
> this. For svr4 its a "doit once" affair, but for linux you'll have to
> follow their "patch of the hour" releases to be sure it works, not
> my idea of having a good time :(

Mine either.  The SVR4 will buy us more in the immediate future anyway.

I'd still like to the the install tools and other pieces I think are
necessary to really claim you can install SVR4 apps the same way and
"they will just work".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---