Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 20:23:45 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        zgabor@code.hu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, 74361.2505@compuserve.com
Subject:   Re: CRYPT & Restricted Shell

> > RESTRICTED Shell-Where can I obtain a restricted shell for FreeBSD_2.1. A shell
> > that supports "sh -r " or a "rsh" similar to Solaris. This type shell will not
> > allow "cd" and many other commands.
>
> I don't know about the normal sh, but pdksh (from the ports, or from
> ftp.cs.mun.ca/pub/pdksh) has this feature.

To be more explicit:-

1. Install pdksh port/package.
2. "cd /usr/local/bin; ln -s ksh rksh"
3. Use vipw or chsh to change the user's shell to /usr/local/bin/rksh.

(I stumbled across this in the ksh man page earlier today.  Apologies
to all the people who I told it couldn't be done :-)

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk