Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 22:52:50 -0400
From:      "Dennis Forbes" <dwforbes@home.com>
To:        "matthew zeier" <matthew@intelenet.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ipf vs. ipfw ?

While I can't comment too much on ipfw, when I first decided to learn and
experience FreeBSD it was after reading a couple of very good articles about
IPF and the superbly written how to at http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/.
Because of this I have never used IPFW (though as I'll mention shortly this
isn't meant to slander IPFW).  Instead as an absolute complete newbie to
FreeBSD I grabbed FreeBSD and installed it on a Celeron "450"a with 64MB of
RAM and a 5.2 GB HD.  I copied over generic and based upon some lint
settings configured my new kernel for IPF and recompiled.

After reading the docs (and I'm very impatient so we're talking a
gloss-through) I got a very robust, very powerful firewall/NAT solution
going with IPF.  This message is not meant to at all diminish IPFW : I have
0 experience with IPFW.  However while IPF is oft touted as not being as
integrated, etc, I can say that it compiled in and works beautifully and
easily.  My CPU load through my cable modem under a single users load
averages 0.0%.  I'm extremely happy.  Of course a lot of that is happiness
to do with how superb FreeBSD is too.

Anyways I apologize if I'm weaving here, but I guess at the outset I had the
same question : Which is "better"?  I knew I wanted to set up a firewall and
FreeBSD was going to host it so I had to pick between IPFW and IPF.  I
picked IPF mostly randomly however it was easy for a newbie to install and
it works great.

Cheers!