Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 10:06:47 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@yarmouth>
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Win32 (was:Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...)

> That's nothing but opinion and doesn't drive the argument.  See: I
> think Tcl/Tk looks really nice.  And what's so ugly about gray?  Hey,
> some of my carpet is gray and my hair'll turn gray some day, too!

:-)

FWIW, my opinion of Tk (in pretty much all its various versions in
whatever colors) is that it's the finest GUI development environment
currently available for $0, period.

Yes, there are aspects of its which are unwieldy and annoying (I don't
care for the placement management stuff *at all*, to be honest) but
the sheer bredth of functionality can't really be beat.  The canvas
object is an amazing little hack just in and of itself, and it makes
for very arbitrarily complex controls when you need them - very cute,
and something even the big commercial apps don't provide (or do very
badly).

Unless something really awesome comes over the horizon, perhaps with
java doing the custom graphics and your "GUI window" really being
somebody's netscape window, well, I think TCL and Tk are the ones to
back.  I'm definitely going with this combination for my own work, and
if anything I think that FreeBSD's committment to TCL has been
insufficiently energetic.  Even just a "boilerplate" library and TCL
interpreter available with the base system, with all the little "must
have" add-ons already bolted on, would be a great stimulus for a new
and better class of applications.  sysinstall (reborn "setup") and the
pkg_* tools would definitely be my first clients for such a library,
seeing as I've already been forced to do this myself just to bootstrap
my own efforts.

					Jordan