Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 2002 00:32:28 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Carl Schmidt <carl@slackerbsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

Carl Schmidt wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 08:53:24PM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > You can get Mozilla from http://www.mozilla.org/releases/
> >
> > I already have Netscape.  You guys were arguing about Netscape
> > not working, and then you go and point me at Netscape... sheesh.
>
> I guess maybe it's just me that notices the vast fucking difference between
> Netscape 4.x and Mozilla.
>
> Fuck you Terry.

http://www.mozilla.org/releases/

"We make binary versions of of Mozilla available for testing
 purposes only!. We provide no end user support. If you use
 our binaries, we strongly encourage you to participate in
 the various mailing lists and newsgroups hosted by mozilla.org.
 Please report any bugs you find to bugzilla! That, of course,
 is the whole reason we make these binaries available."

"We initially release builds on the Win32, MacOS and x86 Linux
 platforms. In the days following the initial release, volunteers
 contribute builds for other platforms."

http://www.gerbilbox.com/newzilla/mozilla/usingmoz07.php

"Java is not part of the nightly builds. Instructions on getting
 it to work in Mozilla varies depending on operating system.

 WARNING: Because of the experimental and constantly changing
 state of Mozilla, there may be problems with getting Java to
 work properly, even with these instructions:

	1. Linux
	2. Mac OS
	3. Windows"

FWIW:

Mozilla is not an option, for most commercial shops, which would
rather only have to do the work that was necessary, rather than
buy into the whole "maintain your own browser" clique.

Almost every web administration interface for networking equipment
in the market targetted by Microsoft's web site that I have seen
in the last 3 years (including the ones shipped on products where
I helped build the guts, if not some of the UI code) required
Java.

Almost every installation site where the equipment was installed
required support contracts of one kind or another.

None of your posting speaks to these facts of life, nor does it
speak to the relative penetration of browsers in the UNIX market,
where the vast majority of systems are running Netscape 4.6 or
higher.

The only "Mozilla" technology most of these people will *ever*
see is Netscape 6.

Back to the thread itself:

It's OK if you can point at a browser that can render an anti-UNIX
site prepared by Micrsoft -- render it *on UNIX platforms*.

However, it's irrelevent as a propaganda tool, if the people who
it is attempting to propagandize can't read the thing with the
tools they have on hand.

And the *vast* majority of them do *not* have Mozilla on hand.

-- Terry