Date:      Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:55:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      wynkoop@wynn.com
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org, Bernhard Froehlich <decke@bluelife.at>, wynkoop@wynn.com
Subject:   Re: virtualbox on FreeBSD 8.2

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Bernhard Froehlich wrote:
>
> >> Should the virtualbox port Makefile set BROKEN if Python threads are missing?
> >
> > No. This is a port option that is enabled per default. Modifying port
> > options is always on your own risk and the general rule is that ports
> > don't check that.
>
> One of the functions of a port is to make sure the requirements are in
> place, or fail gracefully if they aren't.  But I understand what you
> are saying, and don't know if there's a good way to do this anyway.

Greeting-

I am rebuilding now and will let everyone know if it works now that python
is built with threads.

I think that if the port needs python threads it should SAY SOMETHING.

I spent a month on this before asking for help.  Now maybe I should not
have spent so much time, but the net is full of posts in various places
about virtualbox not building, so I wanted to run down the already ASKED and
ANSWERED before bothering people.

I have seen other ports fail if a pre-req was not built according to the
ports liking.  I do not know how it is done, but I know it can be done.

Thanks everyone and I will post my results when my build is done.

-Brett