Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 13:20:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: software development tools - microsoft and unix

j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> types:
> It seems if there is one thing Microsoft does well, it is providing powerful
> development tools.  If you ignore the fact that they use proprietary
> language extensions, what is the problem with these tools?

They only run on Windows, which to unfriendly an environment for me to
work in regularly. Note that this is my evaluation of working in
Windows, *not* a gratuitous slam at Windows. Clearly, others disagree
with me.

> What have I missed?  Is there any real flaw in the tools that explains why
> similar tools have not appeared as open source in the unix world, or am I
> just unaware of them?

I think it's a combination of things. I've been told that the Windows
APIs are nearly impossible to deal with "by hand", whereas I've found
the Unix ones are quite reasonable. Personally, I'm not convinced
these GUI builders actually save any time over something as simple as
canned templates and high-level libraries - at least when dealing with
Unix GUI systems. Of course, that you have to deal with Unix GUI
systemS, not just one GUI, is probably relevant.

> Are there any unix tools that are evolving as quickly, that allow easy
> creation of COM objects, GUIs, etc.?

I haven't been following them, but there were commercial products to
do GUI kinds of thing available in the early '90s. Personally, I went
with the open source tools that provide easy GUI building interfaces,
but not GUIs to build things. DECWRL's Draw! comes to mind. There was
also a Motif specific tool of some kind.

As for COM objects, I've found that doing CORBA by hand is pretty
painless. Especially when writing in a high-level OO to start with,
and not C or C++.

> I am sure someone will argue that they produce bloated code, but it appears
> that really is not an issue anymore.  It seems almost every developer uses
> these standard tools, and the code size has become accepted.

While that's true on Windows, my experience is that Unix users have
higher expectations; that's why they are Unix users.

	<mike