Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 22:00:15 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        crs@hamlet.lanl.gov
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crypt sudo

> Is there a port of sudo to FreeBSD that doesn't use crypt?

I don't think it's in the ports collection.

> 	I tried building it on my FreeBSD (2.1) box last night and it
> 	complained about not being able to find crypt which, of course,
> 	is no surprise.  Is there a version around anywhere that uses
> 	FreeBSD's alternative to crypt?

Does adding '-lcrypt' to the linker command line not work?

> What must I do to make FreeBSD compatible with sudo?
>
> 	I realize that I must find the DES stuff used in Unix.  But
> 	what all is involved?  Presumeably, I must get all of that
> 	stuff and install it (where can I find it and how much is
> 	there?).  I should think that, if I want sudo to be able to
> 	use the regular user passwords then I must also convert
> 	them from the normal form (MD5?) to DES form.  Is this
> 	process documented anywhere?  How difficult (and time
> 	consuming) is it?

You can find the DES distribution on ftp://ftp.reebsd.org (as you're
obviously a US resident, I don't need to repeat the usual lecture
about not downloading it from overseas :-)

However, I don't see that you need it.

> Thanks for any help.  I'd sure like to be able to use sudo to do simple
> root things like mount and such without actually su-ing to root every
> time.  I prefer to spend as little time as root as possible.

Hope this helps.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk