Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:27:42 +0200
From:      Borje Josefsson <bj@dc.luth.se>
To:        Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Toshiba laptops

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:17:16 EDT Wesley Morgan wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Tom wrote:
> =

> > does anyone have any experience installing freebsd on a toshiba lapto=
ps in
> > general or ( specifically ) the satellite 1415 S173?  what works/does=
n't
> > work?
> =

> My satellite pro 6000 works fantastically with 5-current. In the past f=
ew
> months, someone fixed the ohci code to work properly, and either someon=
> fixed the t4dwave driver or the new system board I had put in (warranty=

> issue) upgraded some chips and they now work. I'm guessing the Yamaha
> chipset (IIRC that's what it has) is well supported. The geforce4 chip =
is
> supported by X and the nvidia drivers will probably work fine.
> =

> You'll want to run 5.0 for cardbus support.
> =

> The only piece of hardware that probably won't work is the modem. But w=
ho
> needs modems any more, and you can always pick up a pccard modem that
> works. I have a Xircom type3 that works fine for traveling.

I tried FreeBSD on my Portege 2000 last summer. While most things work =

fine, I couldn't get the function keys (Func+Fn) to work (for example =

Func+F5 to change between LCD and external video). It seems that all of =

those keys are not handled by the BIOS directly, but instead interpreted =

by Windows. If it was just for changing int/ext video, I could have lived=
 =

with the problem, but not when LCD light, speaker volume etc also are =

affected :-(

There exists a Linux program "tosutils" that (supposedly) handles this, =

but I haven't found a FreeBSD version of that yet.

--B=F6rje