Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 2013 20:50:34 +0200
From:      Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Radeon driver regression in the upstream 7.1.0 version, please don't update xorg until the issue is fixed

On 2013-07-09 20:40, Yuri wrote:
> I have the laptop with Radeon Xpress 1200/1250/1270 (RS690M) chipset on
> which the current linux-distributed xorg is freezing (Ubuntu and Mint
> distros). Freezing happens after few minutes of work in graphics.
> FreeBSD, however, runs fine.
> I found that radeon driver in Linux (apt) repositories is currently
> newer: linux has 7.1.0 on server 1.13.3, and FreeBSD ports still have
> 6.14.3 on server 1.7.7 (latest X.org stable version is 1.14.1)

The reason we haven't updated to xserver 1.14.1 is partly that it is
untested, and also that some drivers, most notably the UMS version of
the ati driver, no longer works with this version.  We are currently at
version 6.14.6 of the ATI driver, which is the last to not need KMS.
This will be updated some time after the ATI KMS work in the kernel is
completed, and possibly merged back.  This means that this work is
probably a year or two (at least) away.
If you are adventurous, it is possible to test the ATI KMS work, see
https://wiki.freebsd.org/AMD_GPU for more information.  This requires
you to install the xf86-video-ati-kms port, which is part of the
experimental xorg repo.  For more information, see
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Xorg .
Regards!
--
Niclas