Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2014 16:13:44 +0100
From:      John <freebsd-lists@potato.growveg.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: versions move backwards with freebsd-update(8)

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 04:58:53PM +0200, Rolf Nielsen wrote:

> If there are no updates to the kernel, the version info will not be
> updated even if userland has been updated. If you previously updated
> by compiling source, the version info would have been updated, in your
> case to p5. However, if there have been no changes to the GENERIC
> kernel since p4, the reported version will revert to that after a
> binary update.

Hi,

The reason I expected p6 was because freebsd-update said this:

The following files will be updated as part of updating to 10.0-RELEASE-p6:
/bin/freebsd-version
/boot/kernel/kernel
[...]

so why does it say it's going to upgrade to p6 and the resulting upgrade is p4?
Why didn't it say p4? (remember it was at p5 to begin with. I usually use
svn to upgrade)

thanks,
--
John