Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 20:40:32 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: make world from across the globe

--5p8PegU4iirBW1oA

* Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk> [20010724 20:24]: writing on th=
e subject 'make world from across the globe'
Kevin> I'm planning an upgrade from 4.2 -> 4.3 release but there's a couple=
 of
Kevin> things I'm a bit uncertain about.
Kevin>=20
Kevin> The problem is that I have no direct access to the machine in questi=
on,
Kevin> I usually just connect with ssh and for day to day stuff that serves=
 me
Kevin> just fine, but from the stuff I've read about upgrades I should drop
Kevin> down to single user mode for the final stages like make installworld.
Kevin>=20
Kevin> Now to my knowledge this makes remote logins a problem.
Kevin>=20
Kevin> I've thought about setting /etc/ttys to insecure and then just dropp=
ing
Kevin> down but I'm not exactly confident that'll work.
Kevin>=20
Kevin> I've also read <URL: http://www.nothing-going-
Kevin> on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html > which looks like=
Kevin> might be able to avoid dropping to single user if I'm *very* careful,
Kevin> prepared and desperate.
Kevin>=20
Kevin> I'm therefore hoping someone can point me in the direction of either=
 i)
Kevin> a way to login across the Internet or ii) a way to do a source upgra=
de
Kevin> without dropping to single user

Hi Kevin,

I do upgrades on a daily basis on 5 servers while logged in remotely, and
these are our main production servers.
The single user mode issue(I think) was meant for those slow machines
without enough processing power, because then the server services are not
running.
With fast boxes I think that step is unnecessary. I do upgrades here while
the servers are running (http, Proxy, POP, SMTP, radius...name them) and
my only concern ever has been when I have to reboot so that I have a
kernel in sync with userland. That is normally after the mergemaster stuff
- but I always do it because it takes me 5 minutes MAX to reboot.

What I do:

cvsup
make world (I don't split it into buildworld/installworld)
make kernel
mergemaster
reboot

I think the only concern would be if the box failed to boot back into
server mode because of a little error but you can have some dumb guy at
the other end help you do things by you shouting commands on the phone.
I've never been that unlucky though.

The tricky part is mergemaster.

PS: I stand corrected though.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

The USA is so enormous, and so numerous are its schools, colleges and=20
religious seminaries, many devoted to special religious beliefs ranging fro=
m=20
the unorthodox to the dotty, that we can hardly wonder at its yielding a mo=
re=20
bounteous harvest of gobbledegook than the rest of the world put together.=
=20
-Sir Peter Medawar=20

--5p8PegU4iirBW1oA

--5p8PegU4iirBW1oA--