Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 11:37:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        wjv@cityip.co.za (Johann Visagie)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Comment from within Microsoft

> I was having a little icq chat earlier today with someone who works deep
> within the bowels of Microsoft.  He made the following interesting comment:
>
>   "I really like FreeBSD.  they're engineers getting on with it, without any
>   of the posing and MS bashing that the Linux people seem to enjoy.  And what
>   will the Linux people get in return ?  The focus of the MS engineers and
>   marketers"
>
> -- V
>
> Johann Visagie | wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878 | ICQ: 20645559

Yup... but the mindshare that means commercial apps goes to Linux.
This guarantees that MS will focus on them as a target -- but it also
allows them to publicize them as a PC OS alternative to Microsoft
in things like the antitrust case.

This may either weaken or kill Linux in the market for general
computing and desktop use or strengthen it to the 600 pound gorilla
status among the Free OS's (I think the latter is quite possible).

Bill