Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 22:21:49 -0500
From:      David Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>, Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipf vs. ipfw ?

On Sun, 08 Oct 2000, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Gerhard Sittig wrote:
> >- are you already familiar with one of the languages, do you
> >  already use one or the other?  i.e. how much work is it for you
> >  to use "the other" or is either one the first effort you spend?
>
> Just to interject a brief comment, one of the main strongpoints of ipf
> as I see it is that it is multiplatform.  This is nice because if your
> firewall dies, you can pull a box from just about anywhere, maybe
> reconfigure the hardware a bit, and drop in your existing ipf rules,
> regardless of what OS that box is running.  For instance, if you had a
> FreeBSD firewall running ipf and it died, you could easily pull the
> linux/irix/openbsd/netbsd/etc box out of the cube down the hall and not
> have to spend time rewriting your rules.  Whereas stuff like ipchains,
> ipfw, and other similiar solutions mean you have to have the same OS at
> all times.
>
> Brandon D. Valentine

I don't know about irix and etc, but unless you are running a 2.0.xx kernel
on that Linux box, you are not going to be able to use IPFilter.  And I doubt
there are many boxen still running the 2.0.xx kernel.  There weren't all that
many Linux users before the 2.2.xx kernels came out, and IPFilter will not
work with a 2.2.xx kernel.

Dave