Date:      Mon, 29 May 1995 11:38:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        agl@mac.glas.apc.org (Anthony Graphics)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 950412 hangs on ncr0 probing:

> > Well, one problem at a time, since we got the boot going, we need to
> > move on to this signal 10/11 problem.  Have you set the external cache
> > to write through mode.  The Saturn chip set used on the ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G
> > has a bus master DMA cache invalidation bug (it fails to invalidate
> > cache entries written by the NCR controller to main memory), this should
> > fix your signal 10/11 problem.
>
> Switched DMA Line Buffer Mode to Standard and
> ISA Master Buffer Mode to Standers
> just in case: still no luck.
> Btw, what 486 PCI boards do work properly (The ones without NCR ok) ?

ASUS PVI-486AP4 works just fine.  It does have a 2 master limit, but
that is clearly documented in the MB book for it.

Please set all BIOS values to ``Setup Default'' then change the external
cache to write through mode (CUP as the screen says I guess, been a
month since I played with this board) and disable ISA GAT mode.  Do
NOT make any other changes.  I can't track things if we go off tweaking
all over the place.

> > > One thing to mention: I have compiled and installed gnu make into
> > > /usr/local/bin/make and /usr/local/bin precedes /usr/bin in my path,
> > > so I cd /sys/compile/MYSYSTEMNAME
> > > and /usr/bin/make
> > > it have nothing to do with problems with unexpected signal trapped by cc1
> > > I suppose?
> >
> > Nope, cache bug in the board I am sure is what you are seeing.  Set the
> > *External* cache to *Write-through* and your problem will vanish.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^ There is only one "Cache Update Policy"(CUP) switch and I guess
> it relates to the external cache. Are there motherboards out
> there that let one to control the update policy for an internal cache ;-0 ?

Right, this is a 486 you can't change the internal cache policy on it like
you can on a Pentium.

> I turned CUP into Wr-Through mode (are you sure the bug ain't fixed
> in rev 4.0 aka Saturn-2?), and it haven't helped. Still getting sig 11 :-(
> Well, I've disabled external cache at all: no light at the end of the tunnel;
> disabled page modes, write buffers, etc: nothing helps.
> And I've increased both dram and sram wait states to 1 cycle,
> (two NEC's 9chip simms are 60 ns, so 0 should be enough I guess,
> but anyway just a sefety precaution) : still no luck.

I am quite sure the bug is not fixed in Saturn II, aka Saturn >= Rev 4.,
If you had a Saturn I based board I would tell you to turn your external
cache off as the bug in it is very serious and prevents any type of
external cache from being used with bus mastered devices.

What is the CPUID value for this CPU chip??  Does this happen to be
a stepping 0 Intel 486DX4/100??    Please send me the lines from
dmesg that are similiar to this:

FreeBSD 2.0-BUILT-19950529 #0: Mon May 29 07:40:06  1995
    rgrimes@capo1.aac.dev.com:/var/src/sys/compile/GNDRSH
CPU: 90-MHz Pentium 735\\90 (Pentium-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x524  Stepping=4
  Features=0x1bf<FPU,VME,PSE,MCE,CX8,APIC>
real memory  = 66715648 (16288 pages)
avail memory = 64196608 (15673 pages)

> > > Ok here what it is:
> > > super tower case with 2 fans and 400 Watt PSU (nearly empty)
> >
> > EEkksss... a 400W power supply with less than 100W of load on it
> > can easily go out of regulation.  Most power supplies have a minium
> > load requirement to do proper regulation.  This is often 10 to 25% of
> > full load.  Your little SP3G, DX4-100(3.3V chip, not much draw there!),
> > 16MB, and probably 1 disk drive are drawing <100W.  Please put a
>
> Well, 32MB to be precise ;-) Still, I'll try to add more load asap ;-)

If you can please do the voltage measurement to make sure the power
supply is putting out 4.95 to 5.05V at the motherboard power supply
connector.

Also please tripple check the motherboard jumper settings (I know you
said you did not want to fuss with them, but I have seen some really
strange things caused by not setting up the board correctly, and if
I recall you do need to tweak a few jumpers to set that board up
correctly for a DX4/100 vs the factory settings.