Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:07:13 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jfieber@freebsd.org, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Comments on new search page..

> http://www.freebsd.org/search.html is nice - I like the consolidation
> of search features!
>
> However, what's not so nice is how it's currently implemented.
> I click on GNATs and go to www.freebsd.org (fine and expected),
> I click on "Manual Pages" or "Ports Changes" and go to Germany
> (uhhh... say what?!), I click on "The Source Code" and I go to
> Australia (though more often than not, like right now for example)
> it's just too crazed and unpredictable an experience to be that
> useful (connectivity from California to Germany or OZ is unusably
> slow or even non-existant during most parts of the business day now).

I've been talking to Wolfram, who does the new-ports and man CGIs and
want to move them to freefall.

However, what is nice about Wolframs own machine is that be has put
together a collection of manpages from various Unix derivates. If it
is not too slow, it may not be the worst idea to keep the collection
on a machine where it gets maintained.

Regarding the ports interface, I didn't hear anything from the HPUX
folks yet. Will try again.

> We've been talking about bringing Warren Toomey's indexed source page
> for awhile now,

As soon as I find some time, I want to implement quite a bit
cross-referencing between various WWW parts that relate to source code
and programs.

> though at this point we could just as well substitute
> in GLOBAL indexed pages (and I will probably bring in the tags support
> for that soon) and I see no reason why the German stuff could be
> brought a little closer to home.

Sorry, I didn't get this sentense. What exactly do you want to do?

I planned to add links from the GLOBAL-generated pages to CVSweb (and
reverse) and possibly add a search function to find GNATS reports that
releate to those files. A GNATs report put out via HTML could have
links to GLOBAL and CVSweb pages as well.

And yes, I have a perspective to find the time :-)

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>