Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 10:49:41 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        hybrid@slip.net
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Correction

Bobby LaThanh wrote:

> The 2000 bug is NOT a Millenium bug.

	In addition to the numerous faulty assumptions you're making here,
you're fighting a huge uphill battle against the common usage. However
of the various arguments I've heard regarding this, yours are the
weakest.

> The 1st Millenium went from the year 1 to 1000

	To start, there was no year 1. The best guess from those who've studied
this is that the year of Jesus' birth was approximately what we would
call 4 A.D. Even this date is up to dispute however.

> The 2nd Millenium is from the year 1001 to 2000

	Even assuming that 1001 is accurate, you're neglecting several
important items, not the least of which is the change from julian to
gregorian calendars.

> The New Millenium wil not be until 2001...
>
> Same idea goes for the 21st century which will also not start until 2001

	Finally, your conclusions are extremely Anglo-centric. There are lots
of population groups in the world (in fact, a significant percentage if
not the majority) who don't give a hoot about your "next millenium"
because they don't measure time the same way we do. The most correct
terminology is the one most commonly used, which is to refer to the
"Year 2000 problem," or as it is often abbreviated, "Y2K."

	If you'd like to follow up on the socio-political aspects of the post,
please do so on -chat.

Hope this is of interest to someone, :)

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest