Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 17:53:30 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Stan Brown" <stanb@awod.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Mobile List)
Subject:   Re: 3C589 problems (with twisted pair only)

> 	Hi, I hav a 3C589 which has been faithfully serving me on my Toshiba
> 	Tecra for over a year now. I was never able to get the
>       ayuto-detect of

auto-detect has never been implemented.  I'm not sure how the Card does
it internally, since I believe it's a driver issue.

> 	the cable type to work, so i just ran the 3com dos (shudder) config
> 	program and hard set it to coax. Now I need to make it work with
> 	twisted pair, and it won;t. It works fine under DOS if I set the type
> 	to twsited pair, or coax. It only works under FreeBSD if I hard set it
> 	to coax.

Try messing with the link flags.  ie:
# ifconfig ep0 -link0 link1
*OR*
# ifconfig ep0 link0 -link1

One or the other should work.  (Look at the example in
/etc/pccard.conf).  Note, you must stop/restart pccardd to have it
re-read the file (hopefully this will be fixed at some point in time.)

Nate