Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:15:53 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Daniel Flickinger <attila@hun.org>
To:        Alex Zepeda <zipzippy@sonic.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: emacs problems?

Sent: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:30:21 -0700 by Alex Zepada:

+ On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 08:00:19AM -0700, walt wrote:
+
+ > Anyone else seeing this problem?
+
+ The only issue I have with emacs (I'm using Xemacs 21.1.14)
+ is that it hangs quite often.  Usually when I do a lot of
+ mouse scrolling.  This seems to be a recent thing.

    I have the same problem with Xemacs in X; fine in Xemacs
    -wn mode on virtual screens.

    Mouse action as well as continuous up-cursor, and
    sometimes up-paging. It does not seem to happen in down
    movements.

    Some ways which minimize hang to almost non-existence:

      1. avoid mouse movements; use alt-arrows, alt-h, etc if
      possible and don't auto-repeat.

      2. Go to top of buffer regularly; I suspect it loses
      track of the insert pointer.

      3. Save the file every time you think of it
      --regularly. Every time I pause, I save.

    Saving the file seems to be the most reliable --I've
    stopped cursing and started saving.

  --
  Sanity is the Playground for the Unimaginative