Date:      Sat, 5 Jul 2003 01:03:29 -0500
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@freebsd.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where's FreeBSD 1.x?

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 01:33:37PM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> [Format recovered--see http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]
>
> Quoting broken.
>
> On Saturday,  5 July 2003 at  5:45:56 +0200, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> >  --- Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> ha scritto:

> >> Since the release of "Ancient UNIX" under the BSD license, there's
> >> nothing to worry about.
> >
> > No need to ask a lawyer or anything?
>
> Not if you believe Caldera's release last year.  See
> http://www.lemis.com/grog/UNIX/ for details.  Unfortunately, they
> didn't give us a hardcopy of the release, but so far nobody believes
> it to be a fake.

Caldera and the The Unix Heritage Society worked out a deal where the 32V
license and everything covered by it was made available to hobbyists. I am
almost positive that this deal was worked out several years ago.

Kirk McKusick was/is selling a 4 CD set of the source code for $100.00.
I've got one of these packed away in a closet somewhere. Here are a few URL

      http://www.mckusick.com/csrg/index.html
      http://www.tuhs.org/

It's interesting to note that this set contains the complete source code to
4.3tahoe, 4.3reno, 4.4, 4.4BSD-Lite1, net.1, net.2, and 4.4BSD-Lite2

A clever person with a bit of perl could figure out what the 7 tainted files
are.

> > Wouldn't the fact that those files exist mean that someone was
> > breaking the law at a certain moment??
>
> Well, it's not a law.  It was a civil action.  But any such moment is
> now long gone.
>
> > Since I knew FreeBSD only when 2.0.5 Release was made, I have no
> > idea about the details.. did freeBSD developers use something like
> > CVS, perhaps SCCS ? It would be nice to have this old history
> > available.. for hobbyist value.
>
> I'm pretty sure it was CVS in those days.  I have sources, but no CVS
> tree.  Does anybody else?

I am almost positive there was a CVS tree in those days. I remember learning
how to use CVS back then and using some ones email instructions, Terry
Lambert?, on how to use CVS. I also remember Jordan making a comment at a
BAFUG meeting about sucking the CVS tree across a modem when he was still
living in Ireland.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 5.1
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | www.bafug.org