Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 19:14:46 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steveo@iol.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Subject:   Re: Building new kernel fails?

At 4:16 PM +0100 1999/9/13, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

>         You misunderstand slightly. What it does is install the default
> configuration (from /usr/src) in a safe place and then compares it with
> your installed configuration. For each file you get the options you
> describe:

	I have since run mergemaster, and most of the changes were just
the expected "$FreeBSD" tags, etc....  There were a very few things
that had "real" changes to them, and I was able to use the built-in
"merge" method to deal with them and selected either the RHS or LHS
as appropriate.

	I think I should be pretty much completely up-to-date as of the
version of 3.3RC that I cvsup'ed last night.

	I'm now starting my configuration and usage of vinum, and
stress-testing of the logical volumes with Greg's rawio plus my own
"driver" script that calls rawio with a couple of nested loops
varying things like number of simultaneous processes and average
transfer sizes, etc....  I may combine this with other tests such as
bonnie, etc... once I get an OS installed on the volumes.

	Of course, when I'm done with this process I'll contribute the
test results back to Greg, and if there's enough interest I may post
a web page somewhere that summarizes all the testing I've done
(including previous tests with a Pentium III @ 450Mhz w/ 1MB L2
cache, and four IBM UltraStar 9LZX drives in various
mirrored/striped/mirrored+striped/RAID-5 configurations under vinum,
as well as comparable configurations with a DPT SmartRAID IV
controller with 64MB of on-board cache).

	Thanks everyone for all your help!  I think I'm beginning to
maybe understand some of this stuff a little bit better....  Perhaps
after I've gotten more experience, I'll be able to make actual useful
contributions, etc....

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.