Date:      Sat, 25 May 1996 21:42:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Nash <alex@zen.nash.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        davidg@root.com
Subject:   Grrr.. is this is a FreeBSD problem (TIME_WAIT again)

> I understand the purpose behind the 2MSL wait, but my understanding was that
> this was imposed for non-cleanly closed connections to prevent a collision
> (and possibly delivering data to the "wrong" client).

I won't even attempt to rewrite the words of Stevens, so here they are
straight from page 243 of TCP/IP Illustrated Vol 1:

   Given the MSL value for an implementation, the rule is: when TCP
   performs an active close, and sends the final ACK, that connection
   must stay in the TIME_WAIT state for twice the MSL.  This lets
   TCP resend the final ACK in case this ACK is lost (in which case
   the other end will time out and retransmit the final FIN).

Of course this doesn't explain why you don't see the problem across
multiple machines.  Are you sure that neither end is in TIME_WAIT?

Alex