Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 1995 22:06:40 -0700
From:      asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        ports@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Change in the package hierarchy organization requested

 * I don't see why it needs to!  all means all.  Am I the only one who
 * finds any added distinction somewhat strange and unnecessary?

Because it's different.  The lowercase directories contain only
symlinks.  I'm saying that the one special directory that contains the
actual files should look distinctly different.

"all" is not a very special name.  For instance, there can be
"all-x11" that contains all the programs that use X (not only the ones
that are X utilities like our current "x11"), but this should be a
symlink tree.

 * I think it goes without saying that all those symlinks in all are
 * a total waste!

Hey, it's not my doing!  It's you that added the "all" category to
bsd.port.mk.... ;)

Also, there is a bug in the shell globbing that causes "*/linkname" to
fail (expands into "*/linkname" instead of "dir/linkname") when the
link target is nonexistent, this may screw up automated scripts to
move packages around.  I would like to keep a way to distinguish
directories easier (and capitalization is one such way).  If
everything collapses into the single format, it will cause a major
headache for me.

Satoshi