Date:      Sat, 25 May 1996 23:33:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Dima Ruban <dima@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adduser program in C

On Sat, 25 May 1996, Dima Ruban wrote:
> > With diskspace at the price it is, I don't think size is an issue in most
> > cases.
> What about RAM?

I've got virtual memory.  Whats the problem?  If it becomes necessary to
rewrite the thing to be efficient, I'm sure that it will be.  In most
cases, these problems won't be an issue.  You aren't going to write an OS
in perl, or a DBMS, but an adduser script or other small tasks can be
solved with Perl quite nicely.

> I didn't say anything about this particular case with adduser program.
> But I couldn't stay away, when somebody (don't remember his name)
> said that perl is perfect replacement for shell/awk/sed scripts.
> The idea of his entire letter was "Perl rules! I'd love to see all
> unix shell/sed/awk scripts rewritten in perl, because perl is perfect!"

This is true.  I'm all for using the proper tools for a task, and if that
is perl, then great.  Since perl embodies a good deal of the functionality
of awk/sed/shell then its really a close call as to which is the correct
solution.  I've got shell scripts working along with perl do do some jobs.

> My point is: I don't have anything against writing on perl
> program/script which I won't run more often than once per hour

Say, lets try out Python next!  I hear thats the greatest thing since
sliced bread!  (Actually, the other sysadmin here suggested TK and Python
for an adduser program that he wanted to write.  We'll see. *grin*)

Have a good one.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|