Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 13:50:18 -0500
From:      Alex Nash <alex@orion.fa.tdktca.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unionfs

> It should be possible for anyone to ask a trusted server to load
> trusted LKMs.  However, LKMs can't be loaded if securelevel > 0,
> so it is best not to depend on loading them on demand.

What a coincindence, I was just wondering if it was possible to
load LKMs in secure mode just this morning (prompted by Garrett's
IPFW concerns).  Unfortunately I can't test this empirically with
the FreeBSD systems here, so I've been looking through the code
to see if this was allowed.  As far as I can tell, the file system
operations affected by securelevel are:

   /ufs/ufs/ufs_vnops.c:
      Check secure level when dealing with immutable and append
      only flags.

   /miscfs/specfs/spec_vnops.c:
      Do not allow opens for writing to disk character devices
      when securelevel is 2 or greater.

      Do not allow opens for writing of /dev/mem and /dev/kmem,
      or character devices that are currently mounted when secure
      level is 1 or greater.

      Do not allow opens for writing of any disk block devices
      when secure level is 2 or greater.

Since modload opens a character device which is not a disk device,
I don't think securelevel prevents LKMs from being loaded (but I
agree that it should).

What did I miss?

Alex