Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:31:22 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Lee Cremeans <lcremeans@erols.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jordan the Confused (Was: Jordan The Evil!)

>At 10:43 PM 4/15/99 -0400, Lee Cremeans wrote:
>
>>All Brett sees is "Linux is beating us. I FSCKING HATE LINUX. Somethign
>>Needs To Be Done."
>
>Bull. Perhaps YOU are full of irrational hatred (and therefore project it),
>but I am not.
>
>I see FreeBSD's continued failure to emerge into the limelight, in
>contrast with Linux's runaway success, as the result of serious problems
>in public relations, promotion, and advocacy. In particular, Jordan
>Hubbard's refusal to acknowledge his own shortcomings as a PR person,
>as well as WHAT WORKS, are to blame.

   It's your perception that is broken. FreeBSD has in the past and continues
to grow at nearly the _exact_ same exponential growth curve that Linux has;
we're just about 2 years behind them and considering that they actually started
two years before FreeBSD was formed, this should come as no surprise. It's
definately not an even playing field and Linux clearly has a time advantage.
   There is definately room for improvement. While you have philosophical
differences with Jordan, you must realize that we have grown from nothing
to an estimated 2 million installed base and that we ARE quite successful
in our advocacy efforts to date. You want more...great! Go for it!
   As I said to you in private email, you will never get official support
for raving zealotry from the FreeBSD Project core. We've worked hard for
more than 6 years to cultivate a professional reputation and we're not about
to sacrifice that professionalism in an attempt at increasing market share.
If you want to do that, as a disconnected part of the FreeBSD user community,
then that's your business, but we (core) can't be part of it.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com