Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 95 18:13:11 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Announcing 2.0.5-950622-SNAP

> : Yeah.  Nothing that can't be overwritten should be in /etc.
>
> So things like /etc/fstab, /etc/gettytab, /etc/ttys should be moved?
> Is that what you are saying?  I thought /etc was per machine also.

They're less important than, say, machine network configuration
information.  In many cases of client machines, these will be
identical.

In the cases they're not, they can be symlinks, so it's not that much
of a problem.

> For the update scheme, I don't care where things live, I'm more
> interested in the mechanics.

Me neither; the mechanics I'd like to promote is a mini-root type
install, ala Sun.  That way, the recovery process that people
want the static binaries for will actually be equally easy with
dynamic binaries.  8-).

The main issues are the ability to pick default configurations
(client/server/standalone/diskless/dataless/etc.) and to upgrade
by clobbering everything but the config data.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.