Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:17:16 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        joe@ns.via.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPX?

#define quoting(Doug White)
// On Fri, 19 Jul 1996, Joe McGuckin wrote:
//
// > Does FreeBSD support IPX? Is there any work going in in that area?
//
// I *think* it can route it.  But IPX isn't a very routable protocol, so ?

  Well, the most used IPX routing protocol is RIP.  The *same* RIP as
implemented by routed.  Of course, since IPX has been used only for
local nets, there aren't as many wide area routing protocols as IP.
Maybe NLSP is useful for metropolitan area.

// > I'd really like to be able to gateway TCP/IP to IPX/SPX...
//
// Ouch.  IPX is such a mess I don't think I'd want to touch it, much less
// try to gateway a superior protocol (TCP) to it.

Humm,

  Do you mean that FreeBSD's IPX implementation is a mess or that IPX
protocol stack is a mess ?

  Hope you mean the first (I feel this too), because IPX is a datagram
protocol just as bad as IP in definition.

  I'd love to make some changes to IPX kernel in FreeBSD, but I don't
have enough time.  One thing I want to change is @#@#%@^! I can't use
different host (ethernet) adresses if I have more than one NIC.  Even
if I have just one NIC I can't assign a internal IPX number in a similar
way as in NetWare servers.  For example:

ed0: 0x92A43F00.02:00:26:07:19:70
lo0: 0x92A43F04.00:00:00:00:00:01

  A fast look in the kernel sources and I found a (ugh) global variable
used for host addresses.  This was in 2.2-960501-SNAP, if that matters.

					Jonny

BTW: IP over IPX gateway is defined on the config file and has a source
to be compiled.  But the source has lots of #includes and ZERO lines of
useful code.

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698 ( Job )			jonny@cisi.coppe.ufrj.br