Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:13:53 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Long, Scott" <Scott_Long@adaptec.com>
Cc:        'Kris Kennaway' <kris@obsecurity.org>, Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>, current@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cdrtools doesn't build on -current

"Long, Scott" wrote:
> Yes, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was picking on the ports committers.
> Changes due to standards compliance, architecture changes, etc, all
> wreak havoc on ports, and hopefully the pace of that will slow down.
> Unfortunately, the direction of FreeBSD is what it is, and the onus is
> on the ports maintainers to keep their ports up to date and working.

Actually, the onus is on the people who changed the code on
which the port depended to hide behind something large, while
everyone who used the port throws large and very pointy rocks.

Standards compliance is a marginally valid argument for change;
architectural changes which do not maintain backward compatability
are much less so -- particularly if the failure to maintain the
compatability was not an unavoidable consequence of the change:
it's not fair to deprecate interfaces without a compatability
period, or at least some warning other than "Hey!  Everyone should
be running my experimental code to shake at any bugs, 'cause I'm
too lazy!".

-- Terry