Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:20:59 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Cc:        Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, dirk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrtools doesn't build on -current

Will Andrews wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 01:37:02AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
>
>>The ports collection is one of the crown jewels of FreeBSD.
>>Unfortunately, even as more ports committers are added, more and
>>more ports break or become harder to build.  On top of that,
>>pkg_add has become close to worthless now that the -r feature
>>is so fragile.  If 5.0 goes out and popular ports don't build,
>>it will hurt the image of FreeBSD.  Please, take a break from
>>adding new ports and/or maintaining your pet ports and fix some
>>of the broken-ness.
>

> So, just to make sure I get this straight:
>
> 1) Somebody commits a patch to -CURRENT without doing the
>    slightest bit of analysis of its damage to ports, discussing
>    it with the ports list, or even a HEADS UP or patch suggestions.
> 2) Tons of ports break.
> 3) Therefore, ports people should fix the breakage.
>
> Yah, right.  Exactly why I don't use -CURRENT for much of
> anything nowadays.  Too many people breaking stuff without
> bothering to fix it themselves in any way.  So, why don't you
> encourage -CURRENT developers to treat ports like the crown jewel
> it is instead of pestering ports developers to fix their breakage?

In 40 years of using computers, nothing has changed. The system's
people are still primadona's and do nothing wrong.

Get used to it :). Unfortunately!! People don't install OSes because
of the OS as much as the codes they can run on it. The importance tree
is inverted. The people that think they are the most important are
only there to provide improved tools to the people that users depend on.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA