Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 21:34:07 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        gummibear@we.mediaone.net
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My trials with FreeBSD (a positive story)

On 15 Sep 98, at 22:49, gummibear@we.mediaone.net wrote:

> Well over this past week I have learned that I really need to start
> keeping a diary of what I do with my FreeBSD box.  I had reinstalled
> FreeBSD after taking a long hiatus from the OS.  I was welcomed pretty
> nicely back into the OS, because I only had to reinstall it once. :)

Keeping a diary is a very good idea.  I encourage you and others to do so.
 A diary helps you to see what you did the first time, if you ever need to
do it a second time.  Plus, if you screwed up, others can check it over
and see where you went wrong.  That's exactly what got me started with The
FreeBSD Diary (http://www.FreeBSDDiary.com).

More importantly, the Diary helps others who want to accomplish what
others have already done.  The best audience is those who are installing
the given port for the first time.  But the Diary is also useful as a
guide to the non-newbies.  Mainly to remind them of what they once didn't
know.  It is often that case that as people gain experience, they forget
what it was like to know nothing.  One of the goals of the diary is to
provide an easy to follow guide for people who are using FreeBSD.

When learning anything, and in this case particularly FreeBSD, the lack of
knowledge is not a reflection on ability.  Many people who come to FreeBSD
are very able.  They just don't have the knowledge.  The people who
monitor the mailing lists hope to pass on some of the knowledge they have
gained.  The mailing list and The FreeBSD Diary are my contributions.  And
the feedback I've received is encouraging.  Thanks to those that have sent
suggestions and comments.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited