Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:42:42 -0000
From:      Lawson Andrew-ALAWSON1 <Andrew.Lawson@motorola.com>
To:        "'freebsd-chat@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Looking for Yoda and some examples of the use of the force...

All
	I've been following the thread on beginners contributions. I'm in
much the same situation as others, I have commercial programming experience
with Delphi (sorry) and I speak basic C/C++ and Lisp. I'd love to get
involved with the project but as has been said there is a major problem with
the pr list in that each simple change requires knowledge of a much larger
part of the system, essentially we need to understand the system much more
than any language. To this end can I make a proposal. How about (should
people have the time and energy to do so) whenever a committer writes a
particularly illuminating patch, they could also write an explanatory
paragraph and comment the code thickly so that we can understand what the
code does and why, e.g, a sort of before and after type thing. A small
library of such examples would help get some of us past the fear factor of
fiddling with the code.
	On a related note, are there any recommendations as to well written,
fairly self contained and well-commented bits of code to learn from,
something I could sit down and understand in an evening :)

p.s. If any pseudo-yodas need a slave for code-mangling or other grungy work
I'd be interested.

		regards

			Andrew

     Andrew Lawson