Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:31:38 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>, Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, dirk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrtools doesn't build on -current

Kent Stewart wrote:
> In 40 years of using computers, nothing has changed. The system's
> people are still primadona's and do nothing wrong.
>
> Get used to it :). Unfortunately!! People don't install OSes because
> of the OS as much as the codes they can run on it. The importance tree
> is inverted. The people that think they are the most important are
> only there to provide improved tools to the people that users depend on.

Standards compliance changes, in theory, are for the benefit
to "the people that users depend upon".

All other systems changes are pretty much gratuitous, unless
they are to support hardware and/org add features.  When Mike
Smith first implemented ACPI, he got enough shit to push him
out of the project; but it's damn cool that, on systems where
it works, I can hit the power button, and the machine will
gracefully shut itself down.

If it's unfair to make certain changes (it is), then it's also
unfair to bitch about certain changes (it is).

Moving towards standards compliance will break all the places
there are workarounds to standards non-compliance.  You could
therefore equally argue that these should be seperated out in
the patches in ports, to ensure that "sudden compliance with
standards" never broke anything.

Yeah, there has been some primadona behaviour with architectural
changes whose only compatability was whether or not the change
was enabled with a kernel option.  But the glove fits both parties,
too.

-- Terry