Date:      Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:46:14 -0400
From:      Fred Wheeler <fred.wheeler@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fix for Section 7.2.1.1 - Soundblaster 16 driver

Marc is correct that my previous post makes little sense and section
and section 7.2.1.1 is good as it is.  I was trying to recall what I
did a couple of days ago and by mistake I focused on 7.2.1.1 when my
suggestion really applies to 7.2.1.  (That's why I was mixing up
loader.conf and kernel config file syntax.)

Section 7.2.1 explains how to use

  # kldload snd_emu10k1

on the command line or put=20

  snd_emu10k1_load=3D"YES"

in /boot/loader.conf.

I think this needs to be

  # kldload sound
  # kldload snd_emu10k1

and=20

  sound_load=3D"YES"
  snd_emu10k1_load=3D"YES"

However - I'm not 100% sure this is correct - so this should only be
added if someone else knows that this is an obvious omission.  I'll
carefully verify this if needed, but will not be able to get back to
the machine for two weeks.  What I do know for sure is that

  snd_sbc_load=3D"YES"

did not work for me (sbc0 card found, but /dev/sndstat listed no
installed devices), but

  snd_driver_load=3D"YES"

worked (snd0 shows up in dmesg and audio works great).

While 7.2.1.1 seems complete I think 7.2.1 implies that only the
driver for the specific card is needed and does not mention the
generic audio driver.

Regards,
Fred Wheeler