Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:59:53 -0300 (ADT)
From:      arthur <arthur@col.auracom.com>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading

On 23-Jul-98 Tim Gerchmez wrote:
> At 06:23 AM 7/23/98 +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
>
>>Personally I don't see any need to upgrade if 2.2.6 is working fine as
>>it is. I tend to be one of those people who sit back and wait for the
>>screams of pain to die down before deciding if there is any real
>>incentive to upgrade, and 2.2.6 is pretty solid. I might keep upgrading
>>a few individual packages, but that's no sweat.

.. I'm still happy with 2.2.5 ....

> I see some reasons, although not a great deal:

(snip)

> Other than those, I don't see a lot of reasons, other than that it's
> fun to
> have a new and potentially slightly more powerful/faster release of
> FreeBSD
> on your system, at least for me :-)  Also, some changes in 3.0 have
> been
> implemented, so upgrading now will allow for a more gradual transition
> 3.0 (which is going to be a major upgrade with a lot of config filename
> changes in /etc, for example)
>
>>Maybe it's too many years of using other operating systems that's made
>>me so slow and cynical. Sure, it was nice to get rid of 2.1.5 but now
>>even 2.2.2 still serves most of my needs :-)

 ... I'd see it as being cautious, that's why I'm in no big rush to
upgrade, I'll wait till 3.0, hopefully add and change some hardware
around, start with a clean system again. In general, just have some fun
with FreeBSD.

> No, you're very justified in not seeing many reasons to upgrade.  2.2.6
> 2.2.7 is a fairly minor upgrade, and a fairly long download if getting
> it
> via that method (and messing with a solid, working system is ALWAYS a
> pain,
> one way or another).  Now, if you say the same thing come the 3.0
> release
> in October, I WILL call you slow and cynical <g>, as there will be
> *MANY*
> changes in that release (some of the RELNOTES on current.freebsd.org
> just
> blew me away entirely.  It's almost going to look like a brand new OS
> with
> 3.0!  *TONS* of additions, bug fixes and enhancements, most of them
> really
> cool and important from my point of view.
>
> Tim

... umm, I plan to wait till 3.0 and then finally get the cd/book set, I
 hear the book is pretty good .. ;)