Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:03:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Petter Andre Haugseth <Petter@pcsupport.no>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   x utilities (Was: FreeBSD)

Petter Andre Haugseth <Petter@pcsupport.no> types:

First comment: chose more descriptive subject lines; you're more
likely to get answers.

> I would have loved to have KDE2 (and maybe XFree86 4.0.1/2) but I have som
> trouble installing it... have have downloaded the ports of KDE2, but when i
> try to "pkg_add qt-2.1.1.tgz" i get several error-messages saying that I
> dont have XFree86-3.3.6 installerd and png-1.0.8 among others... I have
> installerd png-1.0.8_1.tgz, but I  get the same error message....

Sounds like you're trying to install packages from different versions
of the ports tree. I.e. - qt-2.1.1 (now obsolete) is looking for an
older version of png-1.0.8 than you installed.

You may want to upgrade your ports tree; a lot of work has been done
recently to deal with having two versions of X around, and making
library dependencies cleaner.

You can also use the "-f" flag of pkg_add to get things installed if
the problem is different versions of a shared library. However, they
may not work properly afterwards.

> So my question is, when is the next release of FreeBSD 4.x comming, and if
> possible, where do I get the ISO file...?

The next release should be in the next month or so. You'll be able to
order CDROM's from the usual sources.

> Is it going to include XFree4.0 and KDE2..?

Well, both are in the ports tree. That's probably where they're going
to stay. KDE isn't the kind of thing that gets included in the base
system, and there's no indication that XFree4.0 has had the root
compromises fixed. I can't say whether or not a package will be
available on the CDROM set.

> What about PCMCIA support. I have some troubble with that to, where do I
> find a nice FAQ..

PCMCIA support is improving all the time. There doesn't seem to be a
FAQ dealing with such, though.

	<mike