Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2006 14:09:15 +0100
From:      Freminlins <freminlins@gmail.com>
To:        "N. Harrington" <drumslayer2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need Advice for Tuning NFS to place nice with a Netapp

Nicole,

On 02/08/06, N. Harrington <drumslayer2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I have several web servers that are attached to a
> Netapp (network appliance) unit via NFS-3. A few
> servers are 5.5 and a few are 6.1 for comparison
> testing. All seem to have lousy performance.

We have a similar setup and it runs smoothly.

Can you define "lousy performance" ?

Can you give more details on your network? Are you using Gig ethernet? And
over what medium?

Can you also try just copying a 100MB file from the filer to one of the web
servers and record the time?

Are you running nfsiod?

When
> going through the issues with Netapp, the reasons
> given were that we have too many GettAdr/Lookup
> requests compared to actual reads. So all the NFS IOPS
> are being used up by these requests. As soon as the
> webservers get busy,  requests pile up.
>
> I have tried everything I can think of. The web
> servers are even mounted read only with no help.
>
> My current mount options are:
> filer:/vol/fvol31    /home/13/13  nfs
> ro,noatime,-r=32768,-T,-b,-R0,-i,-D2,-L 0  0

Mounting noatime for web servers is a good idea but... your "noatime" option
has no effect on NFS mounts (check out the mount man page). You need "vol
options no_atime_update" on the NetApp.

Any advice for sysctl tunes or anything else would be
> much appreciatted!
>
> Thanks
>
>   Nicole

One last thing - are you female?! In a UNIX newsgroup?!

Frem.