Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 13:04:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Dowdal <jdowdal@destiny.erols.com>
To:        Jonathan Smith <jonsmith@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        Nino Tungul <ninot@everex.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Full file system

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Jonathan Smith wrote:

> > Help! Help! Help!
> >
> > I'm new with freeBSD and I always get a message
> > "kernel: uid 0 /: file system full" on our server, but when run df it only
> > shows 41% (mounted on / ) on capacity. How can I clear this mess.?
> > Can somebody help me?
> >
> / must also contain /temp.  Some programs create temporary files that are
> 'unlinked' and 'open' so the file is accessible from the prog where it is
> open, but appears to not exist.
>

>From my experience, 'df' includes files which are in the unlinked but open
state in its usage statistics.  These files will make the number returned
by 'du -skx /' not equal to the number returned by 'df -k /'.

> I'd reccomend putting /tmp as it's own partition.

Recommendation stands.

Possible accurate explainations:

1) Assume no unlinked but open files

   Process owning the files which fail to write because of disk full
   closes and delete the files, freeing the space.  This may cause the
   program to abnormally terminate or produce truncated results.  It may
   also reduce in reduced functionality, such as 'vi' not being able
   to recover files or undelete large blocks which were deleted

2) Assume unlinked but open files fill the disk

   Process owning the files which fail to write will abnormally terminate,
   causing the space to be freed because all open files are closed on
   termination.  Check for terminated daemons and abnormal terminations in
   your logs.