Date:      Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:16:22 +0000
From:      "Peter Harrison" <four.harrisons@googlemail.com>
To:        "Robert Simmons" <rsimmons0@gmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Default Samba port?

--Multipart_=_Boundary_=_1321269381

   Sorry for top posting - curse you 'phone mail client!
   OK that's exac= tly what I needed to know. Thanks.

   --
   Peter Harrison

   On 13 Nov= 2011 15:37, Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com> wrote:
   On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Peter Harrison=0D
   <four.harrisons= @googlemail.com> wrote:=0D
   > Can anyone advise me the appropriate = Samba port to install - the
   handbook refers to samba34, but I see samba35 a= nd samba36 in in
   ports. This is for a home server, so I'm not necessarily l= ooking for
   production standard, but something that "just works" on RELEASE-= 8.2
   amd64.=0D
   =0D
   samba36 is the current stable version. The other t= wo are kept for=0D
   legacy compatibility. 35 and 34 are the last version= in those=0D
   branches. Don't worry about them. The handbook has not be= en
   updated=0D
   for two major revisions of samba.=0D
   =0D
   This is a c= omment for the others on the list, not directly at
   you:=0D
   maybe ports l= ike this should have a directory samba that always
   points=0D
   to the most= recent stable version. Then the handbook would not
   need=0D
   to be updat= ed to reflect version changes like this. It would only=0D
   need to be up= dated if the actual instructions change or become=0D
   outdated?=0D