Date:      Sun, 04 Jan 1998 21:40:19 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Musing on boot

I've hacked my rc files so that I always fsck on boot.  This worked
out fairly well until recently.  Recently, I added about 6G of space
across several partitions and disks.  Now the system takes forever to
boot.  I had thought about unhacking the fsck, but then I realized
that it would take forever to boot when I've crashed.

So, being the safety conscious impatient engineer that I am, I thought
about implementing the following.  I thought I'd bounce it off hackers
first to see what people think.

The idea is to have a list of file systems that *MUST* be present for
the system to come up.  These files systems are fsck'd and mounted
synchronously.  All the rest of the file systems have a fsck kicked
off in the background, and a mount done when that fsck happens to
finish.

This is horrible for home directories, but great for the OpenBSD
sources, FreeBSD source, NetBSD sources, /usr/obj, build trees,
gcc/egcs expermental crap, etc that is scattered over much of the new
disk space.  This would allow me to get back up quickly, while
allowing stuff to "drift" into the system as it is available.

I thought I'd bounce it off hackers.  It seems like such a simple idea
that something must be wrong with it.

Comments?

Warner

P.S.  Code to follow if there appears to be interest...