Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2003 23:42:50 -0600
From:      "Jeff Mitchell" <jam6@cec.wustl.edu>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   4.9:  ata1-slave glitch causes hangs on rebooting

Hey, Stable list--

I'm running 4.8 new install CVSup/make buildworld/buildkernel/etc. upped =
to the latest 4.9 sources as of about a week ago.  I have a problem that =
pops up with nearly every reboot of my machine (Dell Inspiron 7500).

When the system is booting, I get a line (that I gather is fairly =
common) that says "ata1-slave: ATAPI identify retries exceeded".  =
Unfortunately my computer most often decides to freeze (in the "I must =
turn the power off and back on" sense) before this line is displayed:

sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
*** FREEZE POINT ***
ata1-slave: ATAPI identify retries exceeded
pccard: card inserted, slot 1
pccard: card removed, slot 1

Turning the power off and on *always* causes the computer to get past =
the freeze point and boot fully.  I've tried adding and removing various =
devices from my kernel (at first I thought adding device pcm caused the =
problem, but removing it did not help...I removed the parallel port =
devices, which used to be initialized after the serial port devices, but =
that obviously did not help either since it now simply freezes after the =
serial devices).  I don't know if it's somehow related to the pccard =
lines that follow it, since I'm certainly not inserting and removing =
devices as I boot up, but I figure that's likely just the slot =
initializing.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Also, one more issue.  I'm running Gnome 2.4 with GDM.  I can hit Reboot =
at the login screen and reboot just fine, but hitting Shut Down doesn't =
shut down the computer.  Instead, X seems to quit, then get restarted, =
and then the screen goes blank (except that my display, while blank, is =
flickering very slightly).  Pressing a bunch of Ctrl-Cs and Ctrl-Xs and =
Ctrl-Alt-Deletes gets it to reboot, but I'm not sure what's going on =
here.  When this happens I cannot get to the console by Ctrl-Alt-F1 so I =
can't see what's happening.  Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks,
Jeff