Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:41:24 +0200
From:      Valery V.Chikalov <valera@novakom.dp.ua>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Success story

FreeBSD + GUI Java application are backbone of my production environment.

Some times ago I have upgraded my working configuration to

FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE, XFree86-4.1.0_6, linux-base 6.1,
java version "1.4.0-beta2"

(I'm citizen of Ukraine (xSSR) and due to USA export restriction
can't use native version of Java)

and found that I can't input russian text in java Swing application.

I have checked my language setting

	MM_CHARSET=KOI8-R
	LANG=ru_RU.KOI8-R
	LC_ALL=ru_RU.KOI8-R

relevant XFree86 setting

        Option  "XkbLayout"     "ru"
        Option  "XkbOptions"    "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle"

I'm using KDE-2.2 as WM but have found that it has no effect on problem
(Preferences->Periferals->Keyboard->Disable_keyboard_Layouts = true)

this console java program which I run under X-environment also have worked
as needed

import java.util.*;
import java.io.*;

public class I18NSample  {

    static public void main(String[] args) throws Exception {

            InputStreamReader defaultReader = new
InputStreamReader(System.in);

            System.out.println("User language: " +
System.getProperty("user.language"));
            System.out.println("System encoding: " +
System.getProperty("file.encoding"));
            System.out.println("Reader encoding: " +
defaultReader.getEncoding());
            System.out.println("Default locale: " + Locale.getDefault());

            BufferedReader dis = new BufferedReader(defaultReader);
            System.out.println("Was readed: " + dis.readLine());
    }
}

>java I18NSample
User language: ru
System encoding: KOI8-R
Reader encoding: KOI8_R
Default locale: ru_RU
Привет мир!
Привет мир!

Tweaking /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/koi8-r/XLC_LOCALE  ($XFree86:
xc/nls/XLC_LOCALE/koi8-r,v 3.4 2001/01/17 19:37:05 dawes Exp $i)
(on my lucky I have FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE , linux-base 6.1, XFree86-4.0,
 java version "1.3.0" without problem of russian input )
I found that comenting out this lines

#XLC_CHARSET_DEFINE
#csd0   {
#       charset_name    KOI8-R
#       side            GR
#       length          1
#       string_encoding False
#       sequence        \x1b%/1
#}
#END XLC_CHARSET_DEFINE

solves the problem.

Maybe somebody can explain me reason of this (which is guilty - Java,
XFree86, Linuxulator ?).
Or I hope the my experience help somebody to reduce debugging time
becose I spend long time digging in different mail archives and Internet
resources.

Valery.