Date:      Wed, 5 May 2004 12:49:49 -0700
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "=?us-ascii:iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren?= Schmidt" <sos@DeepCore.dk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updated SATA support patches for Intel ICH & Promise cards

On Wed, May 05, 2004, Sren Schmidt wrote:
> David Schultz wrote:
> >The ata driver has not worked with my hardware for months, as I
> >reported to you last September.  With Doug's patches, things work
> >perfectly.  Therefore, I'd really appreciate it if you gave more
> >consideration to his work.  I would be happy to help merge them
> >with your changes if you'll allow me.
>
> What is your exact problem again ? I dont recall the details and my mail
> archive is not online sorry..

I have two SATA drives that are mirrored via ccd(4).  The
mirroring apparently introduced some sort of race that led to
problems, which started when ATAng was committed.  The specific
symptoms changed as the ata driver evolved, and varied from kernel
panics in the best case and data corruption in the worst case.
But the details of the problem aren't as important as the fact
that some aspect of Doug's patch fixes them!

I'm not asking you to do anything extreme like give up
maintainership of the ata driver; that would be detrimental if
anything.  But Doug has merged his changes with -CURRENT several
times now.  I think that with a minimal amount of effort, you
could work more closely with other people who are willing to work
on the ATA driver.  Keep in mind that these people are trying to
improve the ATA driver while causing *less* work for you than if
you did it yourself; it ought to be easier to merge someone else's
patch than to write and test the changes yourself.  If there's a
technical reason why you don't like someone's changes, please be
upfront about it so they can address your concerns.