Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2001 06:13:51 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org
Cc:        brett@lariat.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: BSD direction/Damonnews article

From: j mckitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:01:03 +0100

> Does this mean the world's busiest ftp site will live on?  I remember the

That's a different server.  Yyou're talking about ftp.freesoftware.com
now and it has no official connection to the FreeBSD Project at this
point.  It's not even a current mirror of freebsd.org, though I'm sure
it will be again if WindRiver decides to keep it going and the
requisite bandwidth can be obtained.  We just need to figure out some
way of sustaining the costs without it being stupid.

ftp.freebsd.org lives in Denmark now and is a completely different
machine.  In time, I strongly suspect that it also won't even be one
single machine you can point to but a cluster of them.  If Yahoo!
should ever start looking shaky, not that I honestly expect that to
happen, I'm sure the same will become true for the other relevent
*.freebsd.org resources which require additional agility.

> 'Low enough' in what sense?

Small enough.  There are a lot more significant developers in this
project than work for any one company.

> | walk out in the face of massive pointy-hairedness since all the "top
> | developers" know they're also massively employable here.
>
> Where is 'here' ?

California, though that's hardly the only job market for good
engineers.  I hear things are pretty good in Holland these days too.

- Jordan