Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 1996 16:01:56 +0100 (GMT-1)
From:      af@biomath.jussieu.fr
To:        chrisl@bbs.justcompute.com (Chris Lavin)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail.cf file ..Any Info

Chris Lavin wrote / a ecrit:

> Ok I know it must seem like a dumb question but where can I get some
> documentation about the saendmail config file so that I can try to
> configure sendmail the way I want it to work..What does all the stuff in
> the file mean?

Three very  good  sources  I  know  of  for  manual  configuration  of
sendmail.cf:

. SunOS 4.1.x "System and network administration"
. NeXT version of the same manual (it's  called  "Network  and  system
administration" ! ;-)
[Those  two  are a bit outdated since they deal with sendmail 5.*, but
they're VERY good introductions to sendmail rules IMO]
. O'Reilly book "Sendmail" ISBN 1-56592-056-2, 255 FF  here  and  well
worth that !

You  may  also  want  to  grab  the  sources  from the latest sendmail
(8.7.*),  it's  always a very good idea to stay up to date... sendmail
has  been  so  widely  used as a front door for crackers... The source
come  with  a  ./cf  directory for automatic generation of sendmail.cf
files from a simple configuration file using m4 macros.

Bonne chance,

_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE