Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2003 02:48:31 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Timothy Luoma <freebsd@tntluoma.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: M2 (Opera) Re: What are people using for MUA's nowadays?

At 8:18 PM -0400 2003/09/22, Timothy Luoma wrote:

>  M2 doesn't use folders. Really. Instead it uses what is essentially
>  a database. All of your email goes into the database and is stored
>  in there. Think of it as a circle. All of your email is inside the
>  circle. You can enter the circle from a number of different directions.

	Ahh.  The PowerMail solution.  Right.  Dunno about M2, but I did
try PowerMail.  I liked it, I really did.  Problem was the database
wasn't robust enough, and kept getting slightly slower as I added
more and more mail.  I've got mail going back to 1992.  I've got
multiple gigabytes of mail.  PowerMail choked.

	I found that Eudora could search through my folders about as
quickly as PowerMail could search through the indexes, and Eudora
never needed to create the indexes to do that.  I found that Eudora
didn't get slower and slower as I've piled on the gigabytes of mail,
so long as I periodically archive out the folders.

	Of course, Eudora makes it just as easy for me to search other
folders or groups of folders in an archive of folders, as it does a
single folder that is currently being used and organized in another
folder hierarchy somewhere else.  PowerMail effectively required that
I try to archive out the entire database once it got past about 60MB
worth of messages (attachments included), and it was *not* designed
to ever have more than one database, so searching multiple databases
was not something it handled well at all.

	So, what kind of database does M2 use?  Is M2 available for MacOS X?

>  M2 uses something called Access Points (which is also spelled as
>  "accesspoints") instead of folders. The key to understanding Access
>  Points is the key to understanding M2. It is revolutionary, not
>  evolutionary, in that it breaks from the way things have always been
>  and creates something truly new.

	Access Points are basically just "views" into a database table.
PowerMail has been using the "views" name for quite a while.

>  With M2, my email is easier to store and retrieve. M2 is very fast,
>  even with several thousand messages stored. Actually at one point I
>  had around 60,000 messages in an earlier version of M2 and found
>  that was about where I found M2 to slow down (but again, that was
>  a much earlier version of M2 and on my 3 year old computer with
>  650Mhz processor and 256 RAM).

	One wonders how it would deal with hundreds of thousands of
messages (my system), or an account that might receive 10,000
messages a day (not my system).

	Does it have integrated Bayesian anti-spam filtering?  How is it
at applying rules in general to "access points"?  I have yet to find
anything that is as good as or better than Eudora, especially Eudora
6, when it comes to filtering -- save possibly procmail.

>  Email is also easier to sort and find, because I can store things
>  however I want to. Searches are done very quickly, I assume because
>  of the way that Opera stores the mail. Which reminds me, that is
>  another thing I like about M2: it stores mail in plain-text format.

	I'm confused.  I thought you said it used a database?

>  (At this point if you are still not clear, you may want to read the
>  Official M2 Tutorial before continuing).
>
>  http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/opera/m2/

	Interesting.  I'll have to check that out.  Thanks!

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>