Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 10:37:43 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: It seems FreeBSD is crashable... ;-)

At 09:22 AM 6/28/98 -0700, Tim Gerchmez wrote:
>some reason, I can't mount the D: drive on the extended partition on the
>first drive (wd0s3) - perhaps someone who knows more than I do can explain
>why.
Drives in extended partitions start numbering with slice 5, so it's wd0s5
for you.

>I have it
>automatically set up to mount now in .login so I can access it anytime I
>please.
Or you could use /etc/fstab, which is where the rest of the filesystem are
located.

>I'm aware of the risks of writing to the DOS filesystem from
>FreeBSD, BTW... and plan to use it mostly for copying FROM the DOS drive TO
>a directory on my FreeBSD drive.
You could also use mtools (package or port), which preserves long filenames
and doesn't require a partition to be constantly mounted.

>Now, for the crashable part - I have an OS/2 boot manager partition on
>/dev/wd0s1.  Just for kicks, I tried:
>
>mount_msdos /dev/wd0s1 /tmp
>
>Guess what... FreeBSD instantly locked up.  No keyboard input, no daemons
>running, nothing... followed by an instant, unclean reboot a few seconds
>later (all slices dirty on reboot).  So it turns out it is possible to
>completely crash FreeBSD :-)  (someone's gonna tell me I should have known
>that already).
That's what you get for mounting a non-dos partition with mount_msdos...

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com
ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org