Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:34:27 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbee to freebsd, unix, etc...

> how do i invoke the KDE windows environment?
If you configured everything properly-in terms of XWindows-and have
installed KDE, bringing up the KDE environment can simply be done using
the command "startkde". You may prefer setting up more than that though,
so I suggest modifying .xinitrc and adding startkde, then invoking
startx instead.
> what are some other resources for me to learn the "how to do"...
> for example: how do i install applications.
There are a few HOWTOs out there, but you should also consult the
Handbook first...
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/>;

> Im pretty proficient at using "microsofts" windows environment.
Welcome to a Unix environment though. Things are quite a bit different here.
> any help is greatly appreciated.
And help is gratefully given as long as respect is as well on the list :).
-Garrett