Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 1996 18:11:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>
To:        Carlton Brown <carlton@catalyst.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newsgroups and how to delete users

On Thu, 10 Jul 1980, Carlton Brown wrote:

> I need to know where to fing the FreeBSD support newsgroups, so that I
> can find anxaers to simple questions, not covered in the Handbook,
> without pestering you guys, and I am presently trying to find the
> counterpart to the 'adduser' command, that deletes them.  Editing the
> /etc/password file doesn't seem to be working; all my changes, even when
> made as 'root' don't seem to stick.  I log out, log back in, and the old
> users are alway back in there, again.  Very frustrating...

Always use vipw to edit the password file.  The real password database is
/etc/master.passwd, and each time it is edited, /etc/passwd, /etc/pwd.db,
and /etc/spwd.db must be rebuilt - vipw rebuilds these for you
automatically.

That said, you can find my latest beta version of removeuser (which
removes the user from the password database, removes the user's home
directory, removes the user from all groups in /etc/group, and removes the
user's crontab & at jobs) at

ftp://ftp.dsu.edu/pub/FreeBSD/ghelmer/removeuser-2-beta.tar.gz

Since this is a beta version, I'd advise you use it carefully on a
fully-backed-up system and please report any problems you have with it.

The older, well-tested (but slightly harder-to-install and with fewer
features) version is

ftp://ftp.dsu.edu/pub/FreeBSD/ghelmer/removeuser.tar.gz

Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services - ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu