Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 1996 16:46:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ron Echeverri <rone@bofh.noc.best.net>
To:        spfarrel@midway.uchicago.edu (steve farrell)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rcmd: socket: Protocol not available

steve farrell writes:
  >% rlogin shellx
  >rcmd: socket: Protocol not available
  ...actually, i rather suspect you did what i did, which was give
  yourself a copy of libc.so.3.0 so you could run binaries from a
  -current box.  evidentally i've been building against this library not
  libc.so.2.2.  i wouldn't think it would matter much, except that 3.0
  doesn't seem to match a 2.1 kernel, and hence these errors. [that's my
  guess, at least]  try ldd'ing your rsh.

bofh# ldd `which rsh`
/usr/bin/rsh:
        -lc.3 => /usr/lib/libc.so.3.0 (0x801c000)

bofh# cd /usr/lib
bofh# mv libc.so.3.0 libc.so.3.0.disabled
bofh# ln -s libc.so.2.2 libc.so.3.0

% rlogin shellx
  Best Internet Communications, Inc.     Mountain View, California  USA
      Customer Shell system - * Unauthorized access prohibited *

And Bingo was his name.  Do you expect that my linking 3.0 to 2.2 will
cause any problems?  (jeez, that sounds like a dumb question, but what
the heck...)

thanks
rone
--
 Ron Echeverri        Best Internet Systems Administration        rone@best.net
       No, i don't know what i'm doing, and if i did, i wouldn't tell you.